Where do you start to create an age in place home? The idea of remodeling your home to be senior-friendly and ready for aging in place can be overwhelming. What are the costs? Where to start? Are there DIY updates you can do without a contractor?
- Front door: add railings to stairs leading to outside doors
- Inexpensive fix: install hand-held shower head and grab bars
- More expensive fix: remodel your shower so that it is roll-in with a trench drain
- Bedroom: place commonly used items on lower shelves within easy reach
- Stairs and hallways: add low glare overhead lighting and track lighting along hallway floors
- Kitchen: add pull-out shelving in lower cabinets and pull-down shelving in upper cabinets
If you are unsure about which updates to prioritize, always think safety first.