Regardless of social distancing, limited get-togethers at restaurants, and all-around new realities of COVID-19, Father’s Day is a special time to recognize those important people in your life: dads, grandfathers, uncles, partners, friends, that person who made you feel safe and that taught life lessons to you as a child.
It is fun to get creative about ways to celebrate Father’s Day this year and every year.
- Make video messages: whether you are near or far, everyone loves to receive a personalized greeting video. Ask family members and other special people in your loved one’s life to record a loving message, a humorous story, or a memory.
- Create signs, blow up balloons, and line up a parade of cars: in keeping with social distancing recommendations to keep older loved ones safe, why not have a parade? The weather is warm, the days are long, and your special person can have the seat of honor on the front porch. Get creative, get the kids involved, and create a happy memory.
- Have a picnic: find a nearby park or school or spread a blanket on your loved one’s front yard, and deliver an old-fashioned picnic packed with favorite food and beverage items.
- Schedule one-on-one visits with family and friends: spread the joy and extend the love. If you have a big family, near and far, share a calendar where everyone can sign up for a day and time for a special one-on-one visit and deliver that surprise on Father’s Day. What is better than celebrating your loved one on a special day? Filling many days with opportunities for reminiscing and creating new memories.
- Bake a cake with your kids: and deliver in honor of your Father’s Day special person, or shop online to send favorite food items: a local produce box, a gift card to use at a local restaurant for take-out or delivery, cake, cupcakes, cookies, so many options to choose from now.
Honoring a loved one on Father’s Day does not have to be complicated, expensive or overwhelming. Truly, it is the thought that counts, and this year especially, it is all about sharing messages of hope and love.