At Preferred Living Solutions, we want to make sure that we are equipping people with the knowledge of elder abuse so that they can help protect their elderly loved ones. Here are 4 steps you can take to help protect you and your loved ones.
1. Plan. Have a plan in place for yourself for the future. A comprehensive estate plan includes the following documents:
– Last Will and Testament
– Durable Power of Attorney that is filed with the clerk’s office
– Advanced Health Care Directives (Healthcare Power of Attorney and Living Will)
2. Stay Connected. Remain in touch with family members and friends. Isolation and loneliness make people more vulnerable to exploitation, scams, and abuse.
3. Report It. If you suspect abuse, exploitation, or neglect, do not assume that someone has reported suspicious activity. Report it to the appropriate authorities. In NC, the law requires anyone who suspects that a vulnerable or older adult is being abused, neglected, or financially exploited to report this information to Adult Protective Services in the county where the adult resides, and/or law enforcement. Financial institutions must also report suspected financial exploitation of older and disabled adults.
4. Talk About It. Talk about abusive or exploitative situations that you have heard about with others. Share solutions that will help strengthen prevention efforts. “Reporting is important, but prevention is ideal.”
Courtesy of Secu.org